Sunday, January 14, 2007

The wait continues....

On Thursday and Friday I found out that I was finally "PQ-ed" (physically qualified) to go to Antarctica, and I got a preliminary intinerary for my trip. Unlike what I told the Gardner students on Wednesday, I am actually flying over the Pacific Ocean to get to New Zealand. Last time I had talked to anyone about flying to or from Australia or anywhere like that, they said that they had to fly from New York and east instead of just flying west. I guess things have changed, or I was just wrong. So far they think I will be flying from Denver, to Las Angeles, to Auckland, New Zealand, and finally to Christchurch, New Zealand. I will get there at 10:20 am on Friday January 26th after leaving on Wednesday January 24th (don't forget that I have to cross the International Date Line). I will be in Christchurch for a few days, but then I will be taking another plane trip to McMurdo Station.

McMurdo Station was developed by the National Science Foundation for the United States science research trips to the Antarctic. McMurdo isn't actually on the continent of Antarctica. It is on a volcanic island just off the coast of Antarctica, but these two pieces of land are connected by an ice sheet. I'm pretty excited to get to McMurdo. I have a friend who has been there since October, and she will have plenty to tell me about live in Antarctica (or very near). I know that about 1000 people or so live there during the year, and I was actually thinking about (yet not very seriously) maybe working there when I get out of college. Who knows though. I am sure I would be doing a lot of manual labor. It also depends on how much money they offer me. ^_^

I am rambling. I don't really have much information to offer today other than the fact that I will be flying over the Pacific Ocean instead of the Atlantic, unlike I previously thought. In addition, after my boat trip is over. I will go to Punta Arenas then Puerto Montt, to Santiago, and then finally to Dallas and Denver. It will be a SUPER long trip. My arrival in the states will happen about March 27th or so. I can't wait until I leave!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you go talk to a class at Gardner School? That is so friggin precious I can't handle it. Also it makes me want to be you, just a little bit.

Anonymous said...

1/26/07
HI I LIKED WHAT YOU SAID IT WAS INTRESTING AND I HOPE TO READ MORE AND SEE PICTURES TOO. WHERE ARE YOU? WHAT ARE YOU ABOUT TO DO?

YOUR FRIEND,
SARAH