Friday, February 2, 2007

Biology

I will be working the night shift from now on. That means I work
from 6pm to 6am. Tonight is actually my last night off. We just
started moving the ship about a few hours ago, so we aren't doing any
pings yet; therefore, I have no pings to edit.
Last night I stayed up until 3 am to try to acclimate to my new
schedule. I would have stayed up until six, but you have to be so
quiet when you work the night shift, and I got bored. I woke up
around 9 am and waitied until lunch rolled around. At about noon I
heard there were orcas outside! This was really exciting. We most
likely won't be seeing a lot of orcas throughout the rest of the
trip, but since we are so close to the ice, we will be seeing a few.
I saw four this morning. They were playing in front, around, and on
the side of the ship. They were so amazing! They aren't very big
whales, but they stick their dorsal fins out all the time. I also
saw one little adelie penguin jump from the ice into the water. That
was really neat too. I am glad I got to see them, but all of them
were so far away that I didn't get to take a picture. I guess all of
you will just have to come down to the cold Antarctic to see them for
yourselves!

No comments: