Thursday, February 8, 2007

Ross Ice Shelf

Today we are right on the edge of the Ross Ice Shelf. This is the
most ice I have ever seen or even imagined! There are HUGE cliffs of
pristine ice as far as the eye can see. Originally this ice came off
of the west side of the Transantarctic Mountains, but now there is a
controversy as to whether any of that ancient ice is still there or
if it is just new snow pack ice. The old ice from the mountains
supposedly moves to the bottom while snow and water builds up on top,
compacts, and forms a new layer of ice. Ocean water then moves in
under the old ice and melts it away. The only way to tell if there
is ancient ice left is to do a core. This is a very archaic
process. The scientists use a tool that looks like a gigantic cork
screw. They turn the top of the tool, and it spirals into the ice.
When the tool hits the bottom of the ice (this can be meters upon
meters in this area!) the corers pull the tool back out which
contains a big long cylinder of ice. The cylinder of ice contains
layers of ice deposited in a chronological order. I am not quite
sure how these people can tell the difference between "young" and
"old" ice, but it's a pretty interesting concept. I wish I knew if
there was any ancient ice left and how old it really is. It may be
thousands of years old! No one really knows.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can officially say that I've gotten a postcard from Antartica. So maybe I've been bragging about it a little.
Love you Rosie. Hope you are having a wonderful time.
-anyel

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose! I bet you are cold way down north! Even colder than here in Colorado. One day it got so cold here that my two bottles of antifreeze(good up to -35 degrees) froze solid!
Stay warm way down there and I'm sorry that you are no longer able to send photos!
~Kayna Frye

Anonymous said...

hey,rose!

I know how to tell older ice from the newer stuff. The older ice will be more compact.